The Mobile Revolution Series is a six part series that uniquely focuses on identifying new mobile marketing opportunities and strategic approaches for both Fortune 1000 and startup clients alike.
Consumers are increasingly turning to their mobile devices to assist them in the consumer buying process. A lot of big retailers have recognized this fact and have started to think about a mobile strategy, some even have mobile apps. However, [highlight]a single app does not make a mobile strategy[/highlight].
This will be the first in a series of 6 posts about connecting with consumers through smartphones.
The value of a mobile site does not always end in a sale, inline with the consumer buying decision flow, consumers will want to pass through all the 6 stages. I walk through each stage below and discuss the advantages mobile brings:
- (awareness of need) – A mobile website gives the brand a unique ability to highlight a need at the correct time, ie. the need for a new pair of dress shoes while passing by a shoe store or the need to satisfy a craving for a snack while walking through a food court.
- (internal and external influences) – While internal information search is mainly an exercise in the recollection of a previous experience. External information search is a powerful influencer on the following stages. With a mobile presence a brand can connect with the shopper and provide the information required to move to the next stage of the buying process. During the consideration stage a buyer will create and
I’m in the mood for a really nice dinner tonight, lets go somewhere to celebrate”
- French Bistro
- Molecular Cuisine
- At this stage of the buying process the buyer determines which alternative meets their needs, it is basically a internal pros and cons list. As with any evaluation, proximity to information is key
- Having a mobile website that offers comparisons between alternatives will help the buyer down the path to purchase.
- With a mobile site the brand has the ability to offer a purchase directly on the mobile site that will save the buyer time and increase future loyalty.
- When a buyer purchases via a mobile website the brand has the unique ability to establish a connection with the buyer which leads to increased brand loyalty and repeat purchases.